Washington Marriage Licenses

Marriage Licenses Near Me

About Marriage Licenses

Marriage License Application Requirements and Process:

1. Apply where: County Auditor's Office

2. Minimum Age: 18, or 17 with parental consent and under 17 with a court order

3. Cost/fees: $57-$68; varies by county

4. Identification: driver's license, state-issued identification, passport, or military identification

5. Blood test / Physical Test: No

6. Residency Requirement: No

7. Witnesses: Yes

8. License Valid: 60 days

9. Waiting Period: 3 days

10. Same-sex marriage: Yes

11. Marriage between cousins: No

12. Divorce/Widow: Yes, with disclosure

13. Proxy Marriage: No

14. Common Law Marriage: No

Questions/Answers about Washington Marriage Licenses

What do you have to do to get married?

To get married in Washington, both members of the couple must visit the County Auditor's Office in person to fill out a marriage license application. In some counties, you can begin the paperwork in advance and submit it online or by mail, but you will still have to go to the County Auditor's Office in person to receive the license. If you submit it by mail, you will have to submit a signed and notarized affidavit. You will have to meet certain requirements, provide photo identification, and pay a fee. Once you have received the marriage license, you must perform a marriage ceremony while the license is still valid. Your officiant will complete the marriage license and submit it to the proper county authority for recording.

How do I get a marriage license in Washington?

You will need to visit the County Auditor's Office to apply for a marriage license. You may be able to submit the paperwork online or by mail prior to your visit. Both members of the couple must show proof of age, provide valid photo identification, and pay the fee.

How much does it cost to get a marriage license in Washington?

A marriage license can cost between $57 and $68, depending on the county. The license is valid anywhere in the state of Washington.

How old do you have to be to get married in Washington?

In Washington, individuals who are 18 years of age or older may get married. Individuals under the age of 18 can get married with parental consent and/or a court order, depending on their age.

Can you get married under 18 in Washington?

Yes. Minors who have reached the age of 17 can get married in Washington with the consent of one parent or legal guardian. The parent must provide proof of identity and submit a notarized statement of consent, which is available from the County Auditor's Office. Minors who are under the age of 17 can only marry if a superior court judge grants a court order. The court must be in the county in which the minor resides.

Do you need a blood test to get married?

No. There is no legal requirement for a premarital blood test or physical exam in order to get married in Washington.

Who can legally marry you in Washington?

The state of Washington recognizes certain individuals as valid wedding officiants. This includes religious authorities and some government officials, including judges, justices, and superior court commissioners. Ministers, priests, and other clergy do not need to receive any special license to perform weddings in Washington.

Do you need a witness to get married?

Yes. In Washington, two witnesses over the age of 12 must be present at the marriage ceremony. These witnesses must sign the marriage license, along with the officiant and the couple.

How long does it take to get a marriage license in Washington?

There is a 3 day waiting period in Washington between when you apply for the marriage license and when you can perform a marriage ceremony. You must perform the ceremony before the license expires. The license is valid for 60 days.

What can you do when your marriage license expires?

If your Washington marriage license expires, you must apply for a new marriage license and repeat the application procedure. You will also be required to pay the fee again.

What if you or your spouse were previously married? Widowed or divorced?

In Washington, there is no waiting period after the end of a marriage to apply for a new marriage license. The state does not require proof of the end of previous marriages, but the marriage license application does require disclosure of prior marriages.

Can you get married by proxy?

No. Marriage by proxy is not permitted in Washington.

Is same-sex marriage legal in Washington?

Yes. Same-sex marriage is legal in Washington.

Can you marry your cousin?

No. You cannot marry your cousin in Washington.

Is Washington a common law marriage state?

No. Common law marriages are not recognized by the state of Washington.

How do you change your name after getting married?

You will need to present your marriage certificate to several government entities, including the Washington state or county government, the Washington Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) to receive a new license, the Social Security Administration (SSA) to update your Social Security Card, the U.S. Department of State to receive a new passport, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), and the U.S. Postal Service (USPS). Some government agencies may require a valid marriage certificate. You may also need to provide a marriage certificate to change your name on your insurance, bank accounts, utilities, and with other companies.